Becoming A Host Family
Sancta Maria College is looking for warm, welcoming host families for international students. You can host for short periods of a few weeks or for a year or more. Some of our students are on short-term tours while others are at the College to study through to the end of their schooling.
Families are reimbursed $300 per week.
WHAT HOSTING IS ABOUT
Sancta Maria College believes that the best way to learn another language and culture is by complete immersion. Our school based programmes are complemented by the homestay experience. Rather than being treated as a guest, we ask that students be treated as a member of the host family, participating fully in their host family’s life. We are committed to providing our students with outstanding, quality host families. All potential host families must complete police vetting forms. An in-home interview is conducted, preferably with all members of the family, and the interviewer also ensures that the accommodation is acceptable. Our co-ordinator provides support to host families and students throughout the duration of the programme.
DIFFERENT KINDS OF HOMESTAY
Our short-term students are generally from Japan and China and are part of groups visiting New Zealand. Our long term students have been accepted as an international student only after careful screening both in their home country and by Sancta Maria College.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR
- Have a genuine interest in learning about other cultures.
- Have space to include another family member.
- Have enough time for appropriate supervision and regular interaction with the student.
- Are flexible and able to maintain a sense of humour.
- Are willing to promote NZ by providing opportunities for international students to discover and experience our culture first hand.
- Consist of at least two related family members.
- Use English as their first language.
- Will provide three meals per day and snacks. This includes a packed lunch on school days.
- Can provide a private bedroom for the student.
SUPPORTING THE HOMESTAY SITUATION
Kendall Watson-Peach, Homestay Co-ordinator, oversees the homestay for the duration of the student’s stay. Kendall selects the homestay and then provides pastoral care overseeing the welfare of the students in addition to maintaining regular contact with the family and school. It is important to remember that students are teenagers and may occasionally need guidance and advice. They are bound by strict rules and guidelines.
We also provide a brief report on the student and their progress which is sent to our overseas agent and then to their parents.
If you are interested in hosting, please contact our Homestay Co-ordinator Kendall by email firstname.lastname@example.org or read through the Residential Caregiver Agreement Agreement below complete the online application.